“Where there is no vision, the people perish” (Proverbs 29:18 KJV)
Having a vision is described as the ability to plan your future with imagination and wisdom. However, to create the best visions, you must first know your life’s purpose. You may ask, what exactly is my life purpose? Well, this is for you to figure out and it begins with fully understanding and knowing yourself. Your purpose was created within you by God from the day you entered this world and now it is up to you to find out what that is.
What is it that you want out of life? What do you want to experience within the next 90 days, 6 months, or 1 year? What would you like to pass on to your children and family? What will be your contribution to others in your community, people, and the world? These are questions you need to ask yourself continuously, to ensure that you are fulfilling your God-given purpose. You are God’s purpose and every time you pursue a dream or goal and accomplish it, you are being a living testimony for God.
When you have figured out your purpose, your visions will quickly follow. Know that you are not limited to only having one vision and these visions can be short, long-term, or even both. You also need to understand that you have the authority to manifest how you will achieve your vision. These oftentimes start with setting the proper goals for yourself and your business. As a matter of fact, goal setting is the foundation of manifestation!
It is highly important to write your vision down. When you transfer your vision from your spiritual realm to writing it down, you have just followed God’s instruction in Habbakuk 2:2 (NKJV: “Write the vision and make it plain…”). Writing down your visions allows you to be more focused on the end result. The first thing you need to know about writing your vision is that it doesn’t have to be a long written document. Your vision can also change or be revised; after all, you are the creator of your own vision. Most experts recommend no more than 50 to 75 words. This way you can work on memorizing it and be able to recall it quickly for your own self-motivation. Now it’s time to brainstorm within yourself, which means you must ask yourself questions you may not have thought about before.
There are about six basic areas you should consider when writing your vision statement. It will be important to write at least one goal you would like to accomplish for each of the following areas:
Below is a list of questions that will help you to start forming your vision:
- What do you enjoy doing? Think back on when you were a child or teenager when you were younger, last year, or even yesterday. What things would you miss the most if you did not have them in your life anymore? Try to list at least eight to ten such experiences
- What are some things that you have always wanted to experience in life outside of your family? List at least 3
- If you never had to work again, what do you see yourself doing?
- What habits would you like to form in order to improve your quality of living or accomplish your goals?
- Is there other skill training that you would like to do? Do you believe you have enough knowledge to get you to where you want to be?
- If you were told you were dying, what would you regret not having done?
Once you have answered the questions, it’s time to start writing your personal vision statement. Try writing in the first person and don’t worry about being too long in the beginning. The most important thing is to get something down on paper. You can then go back and rewrite and revise as much as you need to. See the samples below.
Sample Personal Vision Statements:
Note: The samples below are short versions and written in the first person. However, your vision can be written in an article format (third person) as well, or keep it simple and just do bullet points.
- I want to wake up each morning of my life and thank God for giving me another beautiful day.
- I want to show my family and friends how much I appreciate them and make sure that I show the children in my life how much I love them.
- I want to be physically fit and live a long life because I have taken care of myself, eating the right foods and exercising.
- I want to anonymously give to people in need without expecting anything in return.
- I want to write books of wisdom and encouragement about what I have learned in my life that will help others to live more abundantly.
- I want to travel with my husband by my side at least twice per quarter and create a photo journal of our journey.
- I would like to retire comfortably and have enough money that I can leave money behind in a trust for generations to come.
- I will create businesses and other ideas that will help to support my business financially.
- In all things, I will seek to please God.
- I will have a wonderful husband that treats me with respect and three beautiful children and we will live a very peaceful and fulfilled life that is full of respect and love.
- I will encourage my family to have goals and missions.
- I will teach my family that we must love our country and be a part of the community we live in.
- I will become a very rich woman by investing in real estate, and stocks and creating business ventures.
- I will make decisions that will positively impact the lives of thousands of people. People will smile when I am around them because I will always represent and express love.
- I will keep my mental and physical health in good status and always improve my knowledge and skills by listening to tapes, reading books, and enrolling in workshops and classes.
Sample #3 (For Your Business)
- I will be grateful for all the blessings God has given me in my life and business.
- I want my customers to be well taken care of through proper customer service.
- I will create a better life for my clients and customers, whether it be through physical products or mental health.
- I will be the best in my field there is, offering affordable and quality products and services.
- My business will grow beyond my wildest imagination through the hard work that I will put in to make it happen.
- My business will retain customers and gain new ones monthly to keep the business going.
- I want the resources that I use within my business to be for the betterment of Mother Earth.
Faith without works is dead. So ensure that you put in the work behind your visions to make it happen. Your life and business will be exactly what you make it!